Monday, February 2, 2015

Another Email Another Week

Well well, here we stand, the month of February, and it feels like summer here already, I can't even wear my fluffy pj's to bed, bummer. But the work moves on, so this week was stressful and I will tell you why, but first an update on Matthew! Oh man he is 24 karat gold, he drove himself to church, lookin like a member already and stayed
all three hours, then after said, "I feel like I am home, thanks guys for taking me home" I almost cried, but that's not manly, so I didn't. So yes, he is super excited. Kai also has a baptismal date in March, oh I have waited so long to see someone in white! So naturally we were super excited this week, exhausted, but excited. We also
referred two very promising young fellas to the singles ward elders! So the blessings are a raining! 

Now I have to tell this story cause it is killing me. This is a story about a hero, named Hunter! He told this story in testimony meeting yesterday, and I was stunned. You will see why.

When Hunter was in fifth grade the missionaries came to his mom's house, she was a heavy smoker and had all sorts of drug problems. She invited them in and they shared their message. She continued to meet with them and eventually she and Hunter were baptized. Hunter loves to come to church. One day his mom told him she had a really bad sickness called cancer, and she was going to need his help (it's terminal stage 4) Hunter has been helping her ever since, He has watched his mother go from being perfectly healthy, to needing help getting the sheets off her bed. He has been bouncing between his house and "Grandmas" (god-mother) He knows his mom is going to die soon, but she will be in heaven. He has been coming to church by himself for the past year and
loves being a deacon, he knows the church is true.

He is a hero.

That little man has faith. He has enough faith that he knows his mom can be healed, but he also has enough faith in God that he is ok with her dying. Because he KNOWS he will see her again. We wrote him a note telling him how much we respected him.  That 12 year old is the epitome of being humble. This scripture is how I describe him best, and it's a quality I have been working on and will continue to work on.

7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.
8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?
9 Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.
D&C 122:7-9

Oh yes transfers were this week I'm not moving anywhere, Elder Brown is going to be my zone leader, hehehe. I don't know who my new comp is as I am now training and a district leader. They dumped double duty on me.  Thus the stressful week.  I would much prefer being a regular missionary, but I have been chosen and the Lord doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called.

Hold the faith, return with Honor. Love you lots!

Elder Rollins

How is Matthew doing? Bueno
Still on track to be baptized? Jes
Did he come to church this week? Si
How are the others you are teaching? Fantastic!!
When did you feel inspired this week? When Hunter bore his testimony!
Were any of the Pasadena missionaries transferred? Yes, Elder Brown and sister Baker
How is your health? More swoll than a bull
How is the weather? It ain't cold
How are your clothes? Hehe funny story, the members who do my laundry call me Red, because I left a red pen in my shirt pocket and they uh, washed it with a bunch of my white shirts.  Hehe. Sorry mom.
When did you laugh this week?  When they told me I had left a pen in the pocket. 
How is the 40 day fast going?  Tricia's family read your letter talking about the fast and decided to do their own fasts.  We are going to start our family on a 40 day fast tonight at FHE. Good! That's awesome! Glad that all the ideas that aren't mine are
inspiring! Hehe!


Here is some of our follow up conversation.  

Your Spanish is coming along well I see.  Did you really stain your shirts?  Gracias! Si. No Bueno! 
So are they pink?  Yea. they kinda look like candy canes.  They are in mint condition!
Funny.  How many did you ruin? I dunno maybe 4. 

I am grateful that he is in a place where he can shop for his own shirts.  Except he reminded me that I haven't sent his new debit card yet.  So I guess he will look like a candy cane for a while.  Dingbat.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment